Our Brand. Our Values
Bayer is a Life Science company with a more than 150-year history and core competencies in the areas of health care and agriculture. With our innovative products, we are contributing to finding solutions to some of the major challenges of our time.
A growing and aging world population requires an adequate supply of food and improved medical care. Our research and development activities are therefore focused on improving people’s quality of life by preventing, alleviating and treating diseases.
At the same time, we are making an important contribution to providing a reliable supply of high-quality food, feed and plant-based raw materials. Our understanding of the biochemical processes in living organisms helps us address these demanding challenges.
Our goal is to achieve and sustain leadership positions in our markets, thus creating value for our customers, stockholders and employees. To this end, our strategy is designed to help solve some of the most pressing challenges facing mankind, and by doing this exceptionally well we aim to strengthen the company’s earning power.To this end, our strategy is designed to help solve some of the most pressing challenges facing mankind.
Our LIFE values
We are committed to operating sustainably and to addressing our social and ethical responsibilities as a corporate citizen, while at the same time respecting the interests of all our stakeholders. Employees with a passion for innovation will enjoy excellent development opportunities at Bayer.
In fulfilling our mission, we are guided by our corporate values. Represented by the acronym LIFE. LIFE stands for Leadership, Integrity, Flexibility and Efficiency.
These values apply to everyone at Bayer and are firmly integrated into our global performance management system for managerial employees. Our value culture ensures a common identity within the enterprise across national boundaries, management hierarchies and cultural differences.
Each of these four values is illustrated with seven examples:
- Be passionate for people and performance
- Show personal drive, inspire and motivate others
- Be accountable for actions and results, successes and failures
- Treat others fairly and with respect
- Give clear, candid and timely feedback
- Manage conflicts constructively
- Create value for all our stakeholders
Additional examples for managers with personnel responsibility
- Provide clarity and direction
- Think and act strategically
- Demand and recognize performance
- Ensure employability of staff by developing and coaching
- Build a strong and diverse talent pipeline
- Be a role model
- Comply with laws, regulations and good business practices
- Trust others and build trustful relationships
- Be honest and reliable
- Listen attentively and communicate appropriately
- Ensure sustainability: balance short-term results with long-term requirements
- Care about people, safety and the environment
- Drive change actively
- Be ready to adapt to future trends and needs
- Challenge the status quo
- Think and act with customers in mind
- Seek out opportunities and take calculated risks
- Be open-minded
- Embrace lifelong learning
- Manage resources smartly
- Focus on activities that create value
- Do things simply and effectively
- Deliver with appropriate costs, speed and quality
- Speed up good decision-making
- Be accountable for consistent execution
- Collaborate for better solutions